Matthew is a commercial lawyer practicing in energy law, infrastructure access, competition and trade practices law and statutory drafting and interpretation.
He advises clients in a range of industries on commercial agreements, energy contracting and statutory compliance. He has helped negotiate and implement large scale and long term contracts, including project implementation under State Agreements and State Development Agreements.
Acting for the State government, Matthew has drafted and helped develop statutory and regulatory regimes, including several licensing and third party access regimes in gas and electricity. He is experienced in both government and industry liaison.
Matthew’s infrastructure access experience includes advising private and public sector clients regarding third party access to gas pipelines, electricity networks, rail, mining and resource development infrastructure, telecommunication facilities, railways, harbours and water pipelines, and regarding competition law and policy generally. He has advised both asset owners and access seekers.
Matthew also advises clients on trade practices matters including misuse of market power, exclusive dealing, price fixing and anti-competitive arrangements.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Australian Institute of Energy
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association
- Western Australian Sustainable Energy Association
- Chamber of Minerals and Energy’s Energy Reference Group
Awards & Rankings
- Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2017 - Energy & Natural Resources (Oil and Gas Utilities)
- Best Lawyers 2017 - Energy Law, Government Practice, Mining Law, Oil & Gas Law and Regulatory Practice
- Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2016 - Energy & Natural Resources (Oil and Gas Utilities)
- Doyle's Guide 2016 - leading Energy & Resources Lawyer